[Biology-U-L] Former UCSB Pharm undergrad shares in today's Nobel Prize award in Physiology or Medicine

Biology Undergraduate List biology-u-l at mentor.lscf.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 5 15:51:16 PDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------

By now you have all heard today's announcement news of the Nobel Prize
in Physiology or Medicine, which was awarded to Liz Blackburn, Carol
Greider, and Jack Szostak.  The department of MCD Biology is honored to
be associated with two of these scientists and will be posting a news
announcement of our connections to this Nobel prize on our departmental
website.

We are honored to be associated with Liz through her years of
collaboration with Ed Orias.  Liz was the keynote speaker at the MCDB
departmental retreat less than three weeks ago. For those who were not
at the retreat, Liz presented a tribute to Ed to honor his 50 years of
service to UCSB and described the key importance of his research on
Tetrahymena genetics to the development of her own discoveries in
telomere biology.

Carol Greider carried out her undergraduate studies at UCSB.  Her
research career started in Les Wilson's lab before she moved to Berkeley
to work with Liz.  Les and his laboratory provided the foundations for
Carol's career and her interest in cell biology.

On behalf of the entire department, I would like to congratulate not
only Liz and Carol, but also Ed and Les for their important
contributions to the careers of these two Nobelists.

With admiration, Joel

--
*Dr. Joel H. Rothman
*Professor and Chair