[Biology-U-L] CCS Bio course - Field Studies in Ecology - this quarter

Biology Undergraduate List biology-u-l at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 10 16:10:19 PST 2012

FYI: Not major applicable, but a great opportunity.

Hello EEMB Bio honors students,
I wanted to let you know that there is space available in my winter
field ecology course in the College of Creative Studies, and you are
welcome to enroll.  The description is here
<http://www.ccs.ucsb.edu/component/option,com_ccs_courses/Itemid,236/id,2426/quarter,Winter/year,2012/discipline,Biology/>,
and inserted below.  If it looks interesting to you and fits in your
schedule, I'd love to have you join us!  Feel free to email me with any
questions about the course.
-Claudia

*BIOLOGY CS 101, Section 1 * 	*EC # 02899*
**CONDUCTING FIELD STUDIES IN ECOLOGY**

Ecologists investigate the workings of the natural world, and most would
agree that what makes ecology most exciting is direct involvement with
the organisms and their habitat, by making first-hand observations. A
course in field ecology offers students the opportunity to observe
nature directly rather than through descriptions in books.

In this course we will visit both terrestrial and aquatic habitats, to
make observations, and conduct experiments. Field sites may include
chaparral, oak woodland, dunes, salt marsh, sandy beach and rocky
intertidal. We will learn how to design and carry-out studies in field
ecology, by learning how to identify patterns in nature, how to ask
questions and develop hypotheses, how to collect and analyze data, and
how to use library resources. At the end of the quarter students will
design a group or independent project to address a question of their
choosing, collect their own data, and present findings. The course
consists of one 3-hour lab/field trip per week, plus a one hour
discussion. Normative number of units for this course is four.

*_PREREQUISITE: Introductory Biology series, which may be taken
concurrently, or permission of the instructor_*

Instructor(s): **Claudia Tyler**
Time(s): **Tuesday, 1:00 pm - 1:50 pm; Thursday, 1:00 pm - 3:50 pm**
Place(s): **Bldg. 494, Rm. 160B**

--
Claudia Tyler
Asst. Research Biologist